Thursday, March 27, 2008

Far West Open Results are Up!

(Full results and cross tables with ratings from USCF)

Entries to the 8th edition of this event were up by 9 from 2007 to a record 193!

(USCF website coverage by Michael Aigner)

While I didn't play in this one, it was a big deal for chess in Reno and chess out West, so I thought I'd follow up on my earlier post.

In addition to the various tournament reports I noted there (Chris "ChargingKing" Harrington and Ernie "Soapstone" Hong) we now have updates from Kevin "drunknknite" Gafni and chessloser (while the others are well-known Reno players, chessloser wishes to remain pseudonymous due to the probability that he will have to resume protecting us from Evil Forces someday. If you've got some real skillz you might be able to deduce something. You would only be peeling one layer of the onion, however). You might want to check out the above player's main pages for games from the event (except for chessloser, who manages to get all of his desired game reports in one post).

Chessloser also managed to interview the winner of the Open section, GM Melikset Khachiyan. The rest of us just stood around with our thumbs up our asses.

That's why chessloser is THE MAN.


(Photo credit: chessloser)

And Michael Aigner provides this photo on the CalChess website:



OUR THANKS TO ERNEST C. HONG--Chess Expert, Organizer, Webmaster and long suffering Director of the Reno Club Championship!

9 comments:

transformation said...

awesome! thank you. yes, yes, chessLoser's name is... a deep secret!

Anonymous said...

That picture of me is from round 1 being taken apart by FM Naroditsky (you can imagine his name on the board sign at the bottom). That water bottle behind the flag stayed with me until shortly before round 6 when I couldn't find it. This obsessive fear that I didn't have all my good luck charms welled up, but I beat it back down and managed to hold it together. Despite some scares in the opening of round 6, I played a decent game to draw a higher rated player, even without the water bottle.

ChargingKing said...

UCLA's men's basketball coach (Ben Howland) has a water bottle "issue" as well. In fact he carries around a roll of duct-tape to hold it on the right-hand corner of the scorers table every game. There are two assistants that are responsible to make sure the water bottle stays in place!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to hang up my crimefighting cape since you and Michael outed me. Still, my cover was already blown a while back. I was caught in Las Vegas. You can almost read my name.

Robert Pearson said...

That's pretty cool--I've never been to a simul where they gave me a name plate!

Seriously, I feel bad that you have to hang up your cape, but you did put your real name on the games you posted on the blog...

Secret identities were easier before the Web!

Unknown said...

you make me out to be far more cooler than i actually am. but thanks, i'll take whatever i can get.

and i'm not the man, you are...

Anonymous said...

chessloser fights "Evil Forces"?

...

Do you mean he single-handedly takes on TV stations that broadcast reality shows featuring Paris Hilton?

Robert Pearson said...

LEP--Amongst others! :)

Anonymous said...

is one of the labels that never become outdated. Designing by ed hardy sale one of the best tattoo artists that ever lived, these clothes will clearly deposit the suffering of time- trend sensible. cheap ed hardy Being able to buy clothes that are considered to be forever in tailor is indeed challenging. ed hardy online shop The key to this feat is actually unadorned. ed hardy swimwear You must forever reminisce that in shape, ed hardy hats it is very important that the designs are well-thought of, ed hardy sunglasses and reflects all types of personalities. ed hardy belts If a consumer relates to the mode, then you can be assured that the individual will always feel at diminish with what he is tiresome. ed hardy mens This is the debate why you should actually christian audigier think about what clothes fit your own form before selling them.